How do you qualify to purchase a home with Habitat for Humanity in Wood County?
We are accepting applications for the Homeownership Program. Habitat for Humanity of Wood County believes that everyone should have a safe, affordable place to call home. We are committed to partnering with families to build simple, decent, and affordable homes with affordable mortgages.
You may qualify for the Habitat Homeownership program if:
- Your current living conditions are substandard, such as a leaky roof, overcrowded, unsafe neighborhood.
- You are currently spending more than 30% of your gross income on rent.
- You have satisfactory credit history and reasonable debt.
- You have a steady income (Habitat for Humanity requires one year of employment history).
- Your income is between 30-60% of the median income. Refer to the family household income requirement table.
- You are willing to partner with us by investing 200 hours (applicant & co-applicant = 400 hours) of sweat equity hours, attending homebuyer's education classes, volunteering on Habitat builds, participating in events, and being an advocate for Habitat for Humanity.
- All applicants are subject to a criminal background check, sex offender check and anti-money laundering check.
You must submit the following documents to verify household income for both applicant and co-applicant (if applicable):
- Federal Income Tax - 2 years consecutive, most recent (page 1 & 2)
- Pay Stubs - 8 weeks consecutive (no gaps)
- Child Support Verification - (12 months) letter form Child Support Enforcement Agency, if applicable
- Social Security/SSI Disability Verification - letter from Social Security Administration, if applicable
- Food Stamp Verification - letter from Job & Family Services office, if applicable
- Other Income: Assets, Pension, Retirement benefits, if applicable
Our Homeowner Selection Committee reviews applications and submits recommendations to the Board of Directors for approval. The homeownership selection process can take up to four months. Every family that wishes to become a Habitat homeowner must submit an application and go through the homeowner selection process. Families must have a need for adequate housing, must have the ability to pay a mortgage, and must be willing to partner. The time from acceptance into the program to completion of the home build is approximately 8-12 months.
A Habitat House
Every Habitat home is an investment. You will find the work and dedication of many people working with a common goal: helping a family build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. We believe that Habitat homes will create stronger communities. With Habitat, you can own a home and build a brighter future.
|Family||Minimum (30%)||Maximum (60%)|
Apply to own a Habitat home
In order for your application to be processed, you must submit income documentation as described above. Please contact our office with any questions at 419-481-8100.